Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to spoil that special someone. If you’re planning a romantic dinner at home, indulge in the perfect home-made dessert with a little help from G’NOSH – Beetroot and Chocolate cake – made using two of the finest aphrodisiacs known to man, chilli and chocolate, which are bound to set the pulses racing.
The cake also includes the gorgeously purple G’NOSH Beetroot & Mint dip, this delicious iron-rich ingredient containing 73% beetroot and is full of antioxidants, making it a not-so-guilty pleasure. The dip adds extra depth to a classic, and keeps this rich chocolate cake wonderfully moist.
The recipe is devised by award winning Chef, Pâtissier and Chocolatier, Waitrose Consultant and media personality – Will Torrent, who works closely with top celebrity chefs including Heston Blumenthal, Jamie Oliver and Jimmy Doherty.
Serving tip: Serve a large slice on one plate with two spoons to share
- For the cake
- 75g cocoa powder
- 180g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 250g G’NOSH Beetroot & Mint dip
- 3 free-range eggs
- 100ml olive oil
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the ganache
- 100ml beetoot juice
- 10ml olive oil
- 100g milk chocolate
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180C
- Sieve the cocoa powder, self-raising flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the caster sugar
- In a separate bowl, whisk the G’NOSH Beetroot & Mint dip, free-range eggs, oils and vanilla extract until it comes together.
- Add the beetroot mixture in with the dry ingredients and mix together and then pour this in to a pre-lined 8” cake tin or 12 individual cupcake cases or domes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is springy to the touch. The smaller cakes will take less time.
- For the ganache: place the beetroot juice and the olive oil into a sauce pan and bring to the boil.
- Once boiled, pour over the chocolate and mix together. You could use a hand blender to do this to emulsify the ganache.
- When the cake is cooked and cooled, pour over the beetroot ganache before serving