As I write this it’s early April and Spring weather has not come to Wales yet! Since it is, effectively, still winter in Wales, I thought I would bring some Spring to my cooking! I thought back to my days as a student in France. My roommate, Sophie, was from Provence and I was often invited home with her for the weekend where her mother, Mrs. L. would cook some amazing meals.
One of the most simple but wonderful meals she showed me how to cook is a Provencal dish, Roast Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic. Do not be afraid of the large quantity of garlic. Slow cooking mellows the garlic so that it becomes a creamy and buttery puree that enhances the flavour of the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 190c
- Rub the inside of the chicken with the 1 tablespoon of mustard.
- Then sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the chicken with the fresh herbs and 6 of the garlic cloves.
- Place the chicken in a pot that is just big enough to hold it
- Pour some of the olive oil over the chicken ensuring that the chicken is nicely coated with the oil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken
- Strew the remain cloves of garlic around the chicken and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the garlic.
- Cover tightly and bake in the oven for about 1/1/2 hours until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 20 minutes before carving.
This blog post has been sponsored by Thomson Al Fresco UK. If you are looking for an affordable vacation. Thomson Al Fresco has self catering mobile homes and family camping holidays in France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Croatia.
This dish would be a wonderful and easy dish whilst enjoying your Thomson Al Fresco self-catering holiday in France!
Thomson Al Fresco generously gave to me a wonderful French Hamper from French Flavour Limited. French Flavour carries a wide selection of French products. The Pommery Moutarde de Meaux was in the hamper.
Thomson Al Fresco
Tel: 0843 636 2644
French Flavour Ltd
Bersham Enterprise Centre
Tel: 01978 356835